Friday, November 18, 2011

Do You Need a Hug?

This a parenting post, because before anything else in my life, I'm a Mom.  My two young ones challenge me every day to be a better parent and a better person.  I learn from them all the time!  Maybe I'm late to figure this one out, but I've found recently that when Lucky and Charm are struggling (and by struggling I mean: inexplicably fussing, crabbing, or crying) all they really need is a hug.  When they get in one of those 'I just want to be mad/sad' moods instead of yelling at them to 'tell me what's wrong' or ignoring them because it's gone on for so long, I've been calmly asking one simple question: "Do you need a hug?"  


I'm telling you it has worked every time I've tried it this month.  I ask the question, and they come running to me with open arms.  We hug and cuddle.  Their tears dry up and we talk about what happened to upset them.  Sometimes I think they are just overtired.  Sometimes I don't think they even know why they are upset.  It's easy to forget how young kids struggle with communicating their emotions from time to time.  When they are being hugged, they feel love.  When they feel love, they are comfortable to talk, and the world is a better place for everyone involved.  I bet it would work with adults, too.  And it's so simple to say, "Do you need a hug?"  I know I do every once in a while:).


If you have a young kiddo, give it a try!  I'd love to hear if it works in your household too!  And with that...go hug someone you love and have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I was so surprised to see this. My 3 year old is going through the tantrum phase. One day he told me he couldn't stop crying. I asked, "Do you need a hug?" and to my surprise he did! He now requests a hug when he is having a rough day or a tantrum. I was amazed this actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thanks for writing! It is truly amazing how a simple question can make everything better!

    ReplyDelete