Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mercury Glass Pumpkin

I've been pondering creating a mercury glass pumpkin every since I received the fall Pottery Barn Catalog that had these pumpkins on the cover:


I found this great tutorial online for making DIY mercury glass, and I went to work with these products:
The glass pumpkin was a garage sale purchase for $1 (I believe the same exact one is available at Target for $4.99 currently).  The Krylon looking glass spray paint is fantastic, but expensive.  I found it at Michael's in the glass paint area for $11.99, but a 50% off coupon brought the cost down to $6.  The silver, black and gold paints were about $1 each with coupons at Joann's.  

I followed the tutorial from Lovely Little Details exactly, and my here is my end result:
The spray paint goes on the inside of the glass, so the mirror effect shines through.  I did spray it on the exterior of the pumpkin stem, however.  




Total cost for the project was $10, which was cheaper than the Pottery Barn version, for sure.  Especially considering that I have lots of leftover supplies for future mercury glass projects!

3 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love that spray paint. However, you might want to use a clear sealer on the stem. I sprayed the outside of some votives in experimentation and the paint rubbed off from handling. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post and very informative as well. Your knowledge appears very well on this topic and the way you have explained it, any new person can understand it easily. I would like you to keep writing like this and share your information with us. towel wholesale market in karachi , hp 15.6 business backpack price

    ReplyDelete