Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Boo to You!

I've been tossing around the idea of painting a big rug, and I wanted to do a small trial rug first.  So, I picked up a $4.99 jute rug from IKEA and got to work making a Halloween appropriate stencil.  I picked up some blank stencil pieces from Walmart for under $3.   I used Berlins Sans FB font in size 400 to spell out the word, 'BOO!'.


I decided to have a border on the rug, so I removed a 2 inch wide section of tape around the perimeter of the rug.





I then taped the printed computer pages to the blank stencil and then used a utility knife (with a magazine under it to avoid cutting our rug) to cut out the stencil.

Next I centered the stencil on the rug, and taped off all areas that I wanted to protect from the spray paint.




I used a few coats of black spray paint that I had on hand already, and this was the final result:

I filled in the 'holes' in my letters using spray paint that I sprayed into the lid of the can I was using and a foam brush.  Easy Peasy.



It ended up working out really well, and now I have the confidence to go forward with another painted rug project that I am SUPER excited about.

(Side note: The only thing that I would do differently next time is use a spray adhesive around the letters to avoid some of the 'smeared' look around the top of the B and the exclamation mark.)

Total cost for this project: $8

No comments:

Post a Comment