Thursday, June 2, 2011

Parenting Isn't for Wimps

Parenting isn't for wimps.  That's what my mom always tells me.  It's so true.  I worry non-stop about the health, safety and general well being of my kids.  And I'm never 100% sure that things I'm doing and saying as a parent are the 'right' things.  Oftentimes, I just listen to my gut and do what feels right in the moment. 

Take this situation for example:
Yesterday afternoon, Lucky and I were playing picnic in the basement.  She has recipe cards and we make the meals on the cards together.  We were playing pleasantly when out of no where she said, "Mommy, can you be the little girl and I'll be the Mommy?" 

"That sounds great!" I responded.  There was no way I would pass on that opportunity.  She said, "Lucky, you need to sit down so we can have lunch now."  I replied with a response I have heard many, many times, "I don't want lunch!  I want a snack!  And I want my milk warmed and a water with ice in it.  I need it nowwwwwwwwww!"  I had a mini-tantrum. 

Lucky Girl ran away and hid under a plastic fort we have in the basement.  I ran over and said, "Mommy, are you okay?"  She said, "I'm sleeping."  I said, "A Mommy can't sleep if her kids are awake."  Silence.  I asked, "Do you want to be the little girl again, and I'll be the Mommy?"  Her response, "Yes, please."  We went back to playing picnic, as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Now, I have no idea if I traumatized Lucky or taught her a lesson.  Maybe neither.  Maybe both.  What I do know is that the work and worry involved with being a parent would be much, much easier if I could hide away in a corner when things get rough.  I can't though.  I'm a Mom, and even if I do dumb things like throw fake toddler-tantrums, I'm in this journey 100%...good times and bad, learning and growing right along with my love bugs.  I keep working out my 'mommy skill' muscles, so I'll never be a wimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment