Thursday, May 26, 2011

Strawberry Patch Forever

So on Sunday night, Bill and I decided to transplant a lilac tree in our back yard to make room for a strawberry patch.  So far, so good.  The tree is doing well, and we have a nice little strawberry patch that hopefully, we'll enjoy for many years. 

Here's the before:

And the after:

I love that the tree is closer to rock bed and allows us to use this entire bed for a strawberry patch and herb garden.  (We did plant a few herbs in our main garden this year, because we hadn't planned on doing much here this year...but then we decided we wanted a strawberry patch, and then we needed to move the tree, etc.)  I love that we can quickly grab some basil or cilantro without having to walk the entire length of the backyard.

Here's our strawberry patch to the right that is made up of 4 plants.  I hope we get at least a couple berries this year!! 

Cost Breakdown:
Cilantro $2
Basil $2
Oregano $2
Chive Seed Packet $1  (I have no idea if this will work or not. I couldn't find any chives in plant form.)
4 Strawberry Plants $20 (They were big ones relatively speaking)
Labor: FREE!:)
Total: $27

No comments:

Post a Comment